Advantages and Disadvantages
Do you like new experiences, travel, cycling, the sea, islands, and change? Are you active and thoughtful? Do you honour other values than staying in an all inclusive luxury hotel? Then BIKEBOAT is made for you! However, you need to consider its advantages and disadvantages before you decide to sail with us.
- The larger Adriatic islands and selected coastal areas are ideal for cycling. They are surprisingly varied and rugged, featuring a unique harmony of historical & cultural monuments and natural coastline that have not been affected by mass tourism. There are almost no unattractive towns and places along the way. The recommended routes have been carefully planned not only for your body, but also for your soul. Each route has a perfect balance of exercising, exploring, and becoming familiar with the specific features of each island. Our cycling routes offer stunning views of the coast, sea, medieval towns, nearby islands and the mainland. And – at the end of your day it is always downhill to meet the boat!
- The weather is generally perfect for cycling in the spring & autumn. It is usually warmer, sunnier and less rainy than in Central and Western Europe. The Mediterranean weather is stable and pleasant, with only occasional rains and/or strong winds.
- Generally, the island roads are very good, suitable also for racing (road) bicycles. Traffic is really light, particularly in the spring and in the autumn.
- If you are an MTB rider, you have a chance to experience one or more terrain sections or detours (“macadams” and “goat paths”) every day. You can follow the route recommendation of your GEOTOUR guide, but you may also decide for your own “discovery” option.
- There is usually plenty of time for cycling during the day, so you have enough time to experience local food, culture and history. Your stops and visits can be based on the recommendation of your guide or on your own decision. You can enjoy swimming in sheltered coves, discover the nature, gastronomy and the wine growing (and making) tradition of the individual islands.
- You can enjoy nature and stunning views alone or with those you choose to be with. This, combined with romantic sailing, interesting food and your physical activity, translates into a perfect rest and get away from your work and civilization.
- You can dive & swim in the sea not only while biking along the coastline, but occasionally when the boat anchors during the sail in deserted bays.
- BIKEBOAT perfectly combines the advantages of an organized tour with the joys of individual wandering. The programme fully respects your individuality – almost nothing is required of you aside from eating together and being ready for the boat departure on time. Most of the time, you can do what you want. It is up to you how you exploit the various information we provide.
- BIKEBOAT is flexible – the programme is suitable for both recreational and sportive cyclists, with both slower and faster paces. You can choose your own way of cycling.
- Since you are staying on the boat that will follow you along the way, you do not need to pack and unpack your luggage every day. You take only your day pack and leave the rest in your cabin.
- Meals served for breakfast and dinner provide you with enough energy for most of the day as long as you do not want to experience local food in the island interior, which can be very interesting. During breakfast, you can make a sandwich and take it with you. Your steward serves typical Dalmatian cuisine prepared by a professional chef.
- Theft and crime are really rare on the islands, which creates a very safe atmosphere. You do not have always to lock your bicycle, for example, or you can leave your camera unattended on the restaurant table for a few minutes without worrying that it will get stolen.
- You spend your time with your partner (evening till morning on the boat) and yet both alone (during your cycling day) or with your friends – if you wish.
- BIKEBOAT attracts people of similar nature; you can find new friends there.
- Bikeboat is not suitable for those, who demand luxury in every circumstance because accommodations in the cabins usually include only bunk berths and a washbasin. Toilets and showers are typically (depending on the boat) shared on the main deck. Because of shared and limited space on the boat, expect less privacy for yourself compared to hotels and a need to treat others with whom you are sharing the boat space with empathy, respect and tolerance.
- Bikeboat is not suitable for people who are oversensitive to noise late in the evening and early in the morning. We declare peace of the night (usually 11.30 PM – 7.30 AM), but it is impossible to eliminate every noise from the outside or which is connected with operating the boat.
- There are no bicycle shops on the islands and, therefore, the chances for bicycle repair are very limited.
- Bikeboat is not suitable for those who lack a good sense of direction and for those who cannot find their way in nature using a map.
- Bikeboat is not suitable for those who require biking only on a flat plain. The islands are mostly hilly.
- Bikeboat is not suitable for those unable to make their own decisions, who lack personal responsibility and are not respectful to those with whom they are sharing the boat.
- Bikeboat is not suitable for those unable to control their alcohol intake.
- The sea is generally but not always calm. In case it is rough, you will need to use motion sickness pills if you tend to get seasick easily.
- Bikeboat is not suitable for those who insist on following the schedule under any circumstances. Sailing depends on weather much more than overland travel and thus sometimes forces us to change our plan.